Tuesday, October 27, 2009

We must be crazy!!!

So we did get up super early to go get in line... I sent Cameron around 7 am to stand in line for us. He called me a few minutes later letting me know how surprised he was at finding at least 300 people were already there. He told me to bring a camp chair, and not to come until at least 8 with the kids. So, I slowing got each kid up and bundled. We stopped for hot chocolate and donuts, then parked illegally (everyone was doing it), and wandered through at least 1000 people to find Cameron. By 8 am, when they actually opened their doors, the people who were walking through counting said that we were around 350, and the poor people standing near us (though in another line) were 1400. We waited for over 3 hours to get a shot or stuff up the nose (in the case of Kate, Spence, and Cameron). I would have preferred shots for everyone, but they wouldn't have it. It wasn't too horrible, but it was a real eye opener for me. What if this was some disaster where food or water was unavailable and we had to wait in a line for a government hand out hoping to get it? Man, I'm going to get more food storage, cause it was CRAZY. People were desperate, people were cold in line, yet people waited, and MANY were turned away. I know some people who waited almost 5 hours. I am SO happy to report that we are all vaccinated at the moment, except Camille who was so excited when her Uncle, Dr. Mikey, said that she didn't need it since she already had H1N1. Only 7-10 days, and we should be smooth sailing even if all the kids at school and church are dropping like flies... just in time for Disneyland!

Kate was our brave one... She gladly sat in the stroller after having to stand for over an hour. She was pleased to get the mist, and said it just felt like she was underwater. She did great.

Emmy did great too, she got the shot, but didn't cry for very long at all. She was such a trooper in the cold. She sat for at least an hour in the stroller, then daddy had to hold her to keep her warm and entertained. They spent some time in the car too trying to keep warm. Cameron was probably the most excited that he didn't have to get a shot. He is not know for his love of needles or any type of "medical pain." He was only willing to do this cause I was so paranoid about someone getting sick at our house for this new baby or for the trip we're taking next week.

This is literally just a snip-it of the parking garage line. It was seriously CRAZY!!! But after watching how quickly and fiercely this virus attacks kids, the wait was worth it.

2 comments:

lyn. said...

We need to get more of our faculty and staff H1N1 shorts since we know the district will never let us shut down...

P.S. If Cameron doesn't like medical pain, he should stop falling of roofs, ets... LOL

Crystal said...

The first thing Sam said when he woke this morning was, "are we going back to stand in line to get those nose shots?" Glad we got it taken care of even though I could hardly walk last night after 4 hrs. of standing, but I wasn't happy when the nurse said to come back next month and do it again for the kids' booster shots. If I wasn't pregnant, I probably wouldn't have waited that long :)